Monday, July 1, 2013

Reflecting on Week One

The dogs are at the groomer, and I'm taking advantage of them being gone by cleaning and blogging. I've been thinking about how the first week of my second W30 went, and what I can do to make the next few weeks better. First of all, last week was basically "fly by the seat of my pants." I had nothing prepared, little food in the house, and just made do with what I had. If this had been my first W30, I don't think I would've made it through last week. Everything you read about doing a W30 stresses that planning and preparation are key. I would not recommend that anyone decide at 9:30 pm to start a W30 the following day. This weekend I was able to look up recipes, shop, and I spent most of yesterday, and will spend part of today, cooking for the week. I feel much more relaxed and excited about the foods I will be eating...mainly because I KNOW what I will be eating.

Second, my first W30 was more difficult at first than this one is, but it was also more exciting and fun. I signed up again for the Whole30 Daily emails but, unlike the first time, when I read and absorbed every word, this time I just skim through them. It's like, I read this already, I know this already. I still like clicking the link at the bottom that says I survived another day, so that makes it worth the $4.95. I also am not sure if I feel different yet, and I definitely don't think I look different. I haven't weighed myself (not allowed), but I doubt I've lost any weight. I know it's only been a week, but considering how poorly I was eating before, I kind of expected the weight to just fall off. I can't remember how long it took to notice a difference in my body last time, or my mood for that matter. All I remember is that I lost 14.7 lbs by the end, and I want that...NOW.

I'm also being a little more lenient with what I eat when. Yesterday I had a handful of cashews before the gym, but didn't eat "breakfast" until 1pm! I had a Lara Bar at about 4, then a bowl of the mushroom cauliflower soup at about 7. An hour later I was starving, so I had another bowl of soup. An hour later I was starving again, so I had a tsp of almond butter. A few minutes later I was starving again. Then I realized that I'd only eaten 2 meals all day, so I had 3 of the crockpot meatballs for "dinner" at 10:30. An ideal W30 day is breakfast as soon as you wake up, then lunch and dinner with no snacks. Clearly I did not follow those rules yesterday, and because of that I felt hungry on and off all night, and ate dinner when I should've been going to bed.

Don't get me wrong, I am VERY happy to be doing this W30, or W49, whatever it's going to be. I'm proud that I got through my first weekend, which included my nephew's birthday party, where I passed on pizza, cake and chips. I feel much more in control, which always puts me in a good mood (can we say "control freak"?? ) What I'm trying to use to motivate me this time is exercise. I told you that I didn't exercise at all during my first W30, and I wondered how my results would have differed if I had. Now, I'm excited to find out!

Just a quick update on the chicken patties and meatballs I posted yesterday, which have been added to my Recipe post: both were good, meatballs were great! I apparently don't like rosemary, and will leave it out of the chicken patties next time. All of my opinions and modifications to the recipes I post are included next to the link for them.

Finally, to my friend who is starting her first W30 today, I'm so excited for you, and happy to have someone with me the rest of the month. And to my friend who finished a W35 a few weeks ago and is now maintaining a W30/Paleo diet for the most part, despite it being SO hard at times...you rock, and you will be MY inspiration when I finish this!! Happy Monday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment