Tuesday, July 16, 2013

"It's Like a Heat Wave!"

Yes, I'm quoting the great Linda Ronstadt there. I remember my Mom playing her records on the record player in our dining room in the Bronx when I was little. She'd sing along and I'd dance. I still know the words to many of her songs. My love of Linda is not the reason for the title of this post however. It is HOT! I read today that this is the worst heat wave to hit New Jersey in 20 years, with no relief in sight until Sunday. Great. And I think I'm getting a cold...cough, scratchy throat, heavy eyes...even greater. If there's anything worse than 98 degree weather, it would have to be being sick in 98 degree weather. I just keep reminding myself that I have air-conditioning at home, and I work in an air-conditioned office. It could be much, much worse.

The problem with this weather is that the things I want to each are not the things I'm allowed to eat. I want very little for breakfast...maybe a banana and a Lara Bar, but certainly not eggs or bacon or leftover meat. For lunch I can do a salad, but that means I have to prepare ahead and make one which, the way I'm feeling now, is not happening. I could go for a sandwich, but it's hard to eat a sandwich with no bread. For dinner I want either a big bowl of cereal with cold milk or ice cream. Obviously no-go's. Usually this kind of weather is good only for the fact that it makes me want to eat less. Now, I have to make sure I'm eating enough, but I don't want much of what I'm allowed to have.

This morning I had 2 hard-boiled eggs, a Lara Bar, a banana and some almonds. For lunch I had the last of the salsa chicken (good riddance fire-meat!) and some leftover roasted zucchini, a banana and some almonds. For dinner I stopped at Saladworks and got a make-your-own with grilled chicken, egg, avocado and some vegetables. I had to add the oil and vinegar at home because I once asked, and the oil they use is not olive oil. It was delicious, and probably the only thing I ate all day that I really enjoyed. I would love to have the same thing every night until this heat wave is over, but $9 for a salad is a bit ridiculous.

Anyway, that's about it for today. Sorry that I'm too tired and out of it to have anything deep or insightful to share. I am getting a little impatient with the plan. I want to stay true to what I'm supposed to eliminate, but I'm tired of feeling like I have to eat certain amounts of each thing at each meal, because I just don't always feel like it. I know that there are reasons behind it, and I know that it keeps me from snacking all day, but I am anxious to have some say again in what I eat when. I'm hoping that it's just the heat and this developing cold which are making me so cranky...I don't like me when I'm hot or sick!

No comments:

Post a Comment