Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Freedom from Numbers

I've made some pretty big changes since I last posted. The biggest one is that, starting last Tuesday, I no longer count calories or points. I don't weigh my food, but do still measure certain things with measuring cups and spoons. I felt a desperate need to get away from the obsession with numbers that I've had for most of my life. I noticed that when I knew I would be over my calorie allotment, I would just say "screw it", and go WAY over (like every weekend.) I started by not tracking my exercise, because I had started to see it as a means to eat more, and nothing else. It also seemed to give me license to overeat. Once I stopped doing that, I decided to stop counting calories period, but the idea of not tracking at all scared me. I found a free app called Two Grand, which I love! All I do is post pictures of everything I eat, track my water, and track whether or not I achieve any goals I've set (the app provides lots of suggestions.) It sounds strange, but simply stopping to take a picture of what I'm eating, and knowing that those who follow me on the app will see it, makes me much more mindful of what I'm putting in my mouth. I haven't binged since I started! Not to say I haven't enjoyed myself and eaten treats, sometimes more than I would've liked, but it's kept me from going off the deep end. I also love tracking my water and my goals. The app makes it so easy and fun! I started simple, with a goal of 48 oz of water a day, and not eating after 9 pm. I've achieved both goals everyday since I started!

I've also dramatically changed my thinking about exercise. I've started taking a 1.5-3 mile walk each day (usually about 2 miles) with Marty. I'm not sure which of us looks forward to it more! I get a 24 oz coffee from Wawa, listen to a podcast, and we enjoy the (finally) beautiful weather. I had gotten back into strength training, and then started listening to the Lift Like a Girl podcast, hosted by Nia Shanks. Last night I decided to order and download her 3x3x3 strength training program, which I started today. 3 exercises, 3 reps each, 3 workouts a week, for 10 weeks. Today went well, and I can't wait to see where I am at the end.

I don't feel like I've lost any weight in the past week, nor do my clothes feel different. Of course I still want to fit back into all of the clothes in my closet that don't fit, and hope that that will happen sooner rather than later. However, I'm starting to accept the fact that, if I continue to eat the way I'm eating now (in a mostly healthy, not restrictive, still enjoyable way), and get in my strength training and walks, and those clothes STILL don't fit, then I may have to buy a size 8 jeans. I'm pretty sure I'll live. For the first time in a long time, I just eat, I just walk, I just lift. I'm not counting anything, I'm not worrying about it, I'm not training, I'm not planning. I'm just living, and I'm loving it.

1 comment: