Wednesday, April 8, 2015

3 Habits and a Goal

I went to WW today, and the scale did not cooperate. Nothing terrible, and I'm blaming it on Easter. I'm not too upset though, because overall I'm on the right track, and I know it. I finally realized that I had set My Fitness Pal at an activity level that was higher than my actual level. Therefore, it was telling me that I could eat far more calories than I actually could. That could partially explain why, since I've been using it, I haven't lost any significant weight. I finally figured it out, and reset it, so I think I will have greater success.

I decided last week that I am not going to run the half marathon in June. The one I ran last June was incredible! The one I ran in October was ok, but the training was torture. I had not run farther than 3 miles since that time, and didn't miss distance running at all. When I trained last summer, I swore to myself that I'd never do another race longer than a 5k. For a number of reasons, I signed up for the race this June, the same one I'd done last June. As training time approached, I began to dread it. Last weekend I ran 4 miles, and this past weekend I was to run 5, and build from there. I started to have anxiety about the long runs. I HATE distance running! I also realized that the long runs would eat into the limited time that Jeff and I have together, and that afterwards, I'd be exhausted. I asked myself why I was doing it, and I had no real answer. Yes, I'll lose out on the $75 registration fee, but I'll gain so much more. I am very much at peace with my decision.

A few days ago I wrote down 3 habits and a goal that I want to focus on. I was very proud of the fact that none of them involve calories, points, or the scale. The first is to drink 2 large (33.8 oz) or 4 small (about 16.8 or so) bottles of water a day. I am very bad about getting enough water, so this is something I really need to work on. The next is to do three 3-mile runs a week...pretty easy for me to stick to. The final habit is to not eat chocolate or ice cream when I'm alone. I've identified them as my 2 main binge foods. If I stick to eating them with someone else, either at my house or out, I figure that I won't binge on them. I've been tested this week with my solid chocolate basset hound that I got for Easter sitting on my counter. However, the fact that eating him feels somewhat like eating my children has made him easier to resist! The goal I set for myself is to fit into my jeans comfortably by Memorial Day. I have an idea of how many pounds I'd need to lose for that to happen, but I'm not positive. Of course I'd love for it to happen before Memorial Day, but that seemed like a good date to pick.

Overall, life is SO, so good! I was out walking with Marty this morning and felt like, even though it was cold, the winter doldrums have lifted, and I'm back to enjoying being active. I am so excited about the upcoming Summer, and if I can look and feel my best, it will only be better!

No comments:

Post a Comment