Saturday, July 6, 2013

Good Friends and Good Food!

This is what I had for lunch today:

I know, you're jealous. It tasted as good as it looks. I visited my friend Cristina today, because Monday is her 40th birthday. I asked where she wanted to go, and explained that I was doing another W30. She told me the name of the restaurant (Blue Fig in Stony Point...for those from Rockland, there's also one in New City...SO good!), and I looked up the menu online. The dish was grilled shrimp with olive oil and lemon, served over rice and seasonal vegetables. I asked for extra vegetables instead of rice, and got a mix of shredded carrots, zucchini and broccoli. It was delicious!

Breakfast this morning was once again not ideal...some cashews, a Lara bar and coffee. I had to leave by 10 to get to Cristina's house by noon, so I had no time for a sit-down breakfast (well, I would have if I wanted to get up and get ready before 9.) Lunch was perfect, and for dinner I'm having my favorite...crockpot meatballs over cauliflower rice. Here's the big bowl of rice I just prepped (this is one whole head of cauliflower):

I'm getting better at making it in my little food processor, so that I can do it more quickly, and without getting little pieces of cauliflower all over the floor. When I made my meatballs yesterday, I used a whole big can of diced tomatoes instead of 2 cups or whatever the recipe says. Mainly because I didn't want to have any leftover in the can, but also because I wanted some extra liquid to mix into my "rice." I also added some kale to the meatballs, because I need to get rid of it. I think it made the meatballs not stay together as well, but I don't really care about that.

Last night I made Baked Artichoke Chicken. The recipe will be on the Recipes page, along with the modifications I made. It was ok, not great, but very easy. For me, it's good enough for lunch, not dinner. I don't really care what I eat for lunch. I eat breakfast late, so I'm usually not starving for my second meal. I also don't get a lunch break, so I'm just shoving food down between patients. It needs to be edible, and fill me up, that's it. For dinner, on the other hand, I want to be really excited about what I'm going to have...like my meatballs and rice, or even a hamburger, hotdog and baked sweet potato. Things that are quick and ok become lunch meals. Things that I really like become dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment