Sunday, June 30, 2013

New Gym, New Recipes, New Immersion Blender, OH MY!!

The

Today was a very exciting day in the life of a W30'er! First, I joined a new gym, Retro Fitness, which just opened in my town a few months ago. I was dreading going back to the gym, because I haven't gone in at least 3 months, after going religiously for 3+ years. Other than a few walks, I haven't done much of anything. It started with my first W30. I took the first week off, because it was suggested if you felt tired, which I did. Then, I just never went back, and didn't feel too bad, since I lost so much weight anyway. Then, I started eating poorly, but never went back to the gym. I cancelled my membership, with the intention of walking outside. Then it got hot. REALLY hot. Remember that I hate summer? So the walking never happened. I technically belonged to my old gym until today, so I decided to join Retro on July 1st. Then I found out that, if I joined by today, I'd get the summer free, so I did. I loved it! The place is REALLY nice, new and clean. Every machine has it's own TV, and there's a room in the back with cardio equipment where they show a movie on a huge screen. There's also an awesome Smoothie Bar, which was tempting, but I didn't do it!

After the gym, I went to Kohls and bought an immersion blender that I needed for a soup recipe I wanted to make. Yes it's true, I've wanted an immersion blender for a long time, so I was very excited! It was as much fun to use as I'd dreamed :) I used it to make Creamy Chicken, Mushroom and Roasted Cauliflower Soup. It was pretty easy to make, and really good. I had to substitute water for chicken broth (and then add a lot of salt) because, while I was in the middle of making it, I saw that the organic chicken broth I'd bought at Whole Foods had SUGAR in it! Yep, even someone experienced at W30 can make the mistake of not reading every label. I thought I had bought this chicken broth in April, but I guess I was wrong. Oh well, lesson learned. The water was fine but, like I said, I had to add a lot of salt. I had a bowl for dinner, and have quite a bit leftover for the week.

I made two other new recipes today: Sweet Potato and Kale Chicken Patties and Paleo Crockpot Meatballs. I actually just prepped the meat for the chicken patties and will make them tomorrow after the mixture sets overnight, and the meatballs are still in the crockpot. For the meatballs, I substituted coconut flour for the almond flour (because it's what I had), and yellow squash for carrots, because I only have baby carrots, and thought they'd be hard to shred. I'll let you know how both recipes turn out.

Today was a VERY productive day, and now I'm ready to sit back and relax, and watch the Yankees try to win a game. Some friends thanked me recently for doing the "leg work" in planning a 40th birthday spa weekend for the 3 of us. That's kind of how I look at this blog. Like I've done, and am doing, the leg work for you, so that you can jump into a W30 and not feel totally overwhelmed. Hope I'm succeeding!

No comments:

Post a Comment