Thursday, June 27, 2013

"Kill All the Things!"

Yep, that's how you're supposed to feel on Days 4 and 5 of a W30 and, today being Day 4, that pretty much explains how I felt. First of all, I was TIRED! Since I've decided that exercise is against my religion, I've taken to getting back in bed with a cup of coffee at around 6:30, after I've fed the dogs. I usually read things on my phone for about an hour, then doze until around 9, then walk the dogs for about 30 minutes, then get back in bed and doze until it's time to get ready for work. I know, you're all jealous. Don't worry, I'm joining a new gym this weekend. So excited...note the sarcasm. Anyway, this morning, instead of dozing, I fell into a deep sleep from 6:30-9:00 and again from 9:30-11:00. I had gone to bed at about midnight last night, so it's not like I hadn't gotten enough sleep. I was just TIRED.

On the way to work, I stopped to pick up some fruits and vegetables at a little market. Normally on a weekday late morning/early afternoon, I have places pretty much to myself because people are at work, kids are at school. Not in the summer. The place was packed, the lines were down the aisles, and I was not happy. Luckily, as soon as I got in line they opened up a few more registers, and I got out of there pretty quickly. Then I stopped for gas...and had to wait in line! Now I was annoyed! How can a gas station be crowded at 11:30 on a Thursday morning? I stopped for coffee and headed to work.

Now, I have to tell you a few reasons why I hate the summer, and some of them might make you think I'm a terrible person, but I'll have to live with that. First, I can't stand the heat and humidity. Some people get seasonal affective disorder in the winter. I seriously think I get it in the summer (which, I've read, is possible.) My hair is poofy, I get all sweaty when I walk the dogs and my glasses fog up when I get out of the air-conditioned car. It's just not fun. I'm also not a huge fan of swimming. If it were up to me, I'd spend the entire summer in my house, curtains shut, a/c on, avoiding the sun and the heat it produces. Unfortunately, I do have to leave the house on occasion. The other reason I don't like the summer, and this is where I may sound horrible, is that the world seems to be overtaken by children. Yep, I said it. There are no kid-free zones in the summer. Let me explain: I love my dogs. LOVE my dogs. I want all dogs to be treated well and have good homes. However, I'm not one of those people who will go to a friend's house and lay on the floor with her dogs (yes, I have friends who do that with my dogs...you know who you are!) I love dogs in a general sense, and I adore my dogs in particular. But I do not want every dog in the universe on my lap or licking me. It's the same with kids. I am obsessed with my nieces and nephews, love my cousins' kids and my friends' kids. I work with kids ALL day long, and wouldn't want to work with adults for all the money in the world. However, I don't have kids of my own. I enjoy quiet, and kids and quiet don't belong in the same sentence. When I go into Dunkin Donuts at 10 am on a Tuesday morning to get coffee, I don't expect to see kids there...unless it's the summer. Then they're EVERYWHERE! Because I work with kids, I cherish my kid-free zones, and in the summer, they're gone.

So, I got to work, and today was VERY busy. I was already cranky, had thrown random food together to have for a very late breakfast and lunch, and just wanted to go home. At the end of the day I had 5 patients at various stages of their exams, all waiting for me. I was hungry, and realized that I'd get home at about 7:30, have to walk and feed the dogs in the rain, and then cook. Remember how much I love to cook...???

There was a bright spot though, and it was my dinner. I cut up chicken tenderloins, cooked them in garlic and oil, dumped in quartered artichoke hearts and black olives and, voila! I had a delicious meal that took 10 minutes to cook. I would've eaten the entire pot, but I need some for lunch tomorrow...I REALLY need to go shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment