Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Forced Day of Rest

I am not good at relaxing. I have a hard time sitting still and doing nothing, yet I'm always longing for a day to do just that. Today is the first day of a 9 day "staycation." I have a lot of things planned for the week, some fun, some just stuff that needs to get done, but I'm really looking forward to not having to go to work for awhile. I need a mental break and, by the way my shoulder has been bothering me, I obviously need a physical break too.

Well, today I'm being forced to sit home and do nothing (although Marty and I did go to his class this morning.) I have my colonoscopy tomorrow, and will start the prep at 3pm (2 hours earlier than I'm supposed to, because I'd like to finish drinking the stuff before midnight!) I can't eat anything solid today, so I'm planning to spend the day sitting on the couch, watching TV, eating lemon Italian ices, and maybe taking a nap. I need this. It's crazy to say that I'm happy that I have to prep for a colonoscopy but, in a way, I am. If this is what it takes to get me to just stop, then so be it. I think the dogs are happy too. I rarely spend much time during the day just hanging out with them. They are all asleep on the couch, and I'm hoping they stay that way!

Here's my quick PSA for colonscopies: They are NOT a big deal! Yes, the prep is not fun, but once you've done it once, you realize that it's nothing more than an annoyance. Once you get to the doctor, you are tired and hungry and SO happy when they stick the IV in your arm and you drift off to la la land. Next thing you know, it's over. Colon cancer took my sister-in-law's sister when she was in her 30's. My Dad was diagnosed when he was about 40, and my brother-in-law's brother was diagnosed last year. Tomorrow will be my 4th colonoscopy. I've had polyps removed twice (non-cancerous, thank God.) All of my siblings have had at least one done so far. I joke that, in my family, going for a colonoscopy is like going for a flu shot...no big deal. Everyone should start getting screened at 50, sooner if you have a family history (I believe it's 10 years before your family member was diagnosed.) Please don't risk your life because you want to avoid a test which is, at most, unpleasant. It doesn't make any sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment