Thursday, December 4, 2014

Scared of Running?

That's how I felt this morning...I was scared to run. My attempt at a 3 mile run on Tuesday didn't go well at all. I couldn't breathe, had to keep stopping to catch my breath, and ended up walking part of it. How can I go from runnig an entire half marathon in June, to not being able to run 3 miles in December? My plan this morning was to do 3 miles on the treadmill, so that I could eliminate all the variables that running outside brings (hills, wind, etc). I woke up this morning in a funk, and did not want to get out of bed. The thought of running made me so nervous...what if I couldn't do it? Maybe I should just stop running? What was wrong with me? I kept pushing my alarm setting to later and later. Finally, I texted my friend Gail and said that I didn't feel like leaving the house to go use the treadmill at the gym, and I was just going to use my exercise bike, and try running again next week. She said that that was a good plan, UNLESS I would feel guilty for not running (my friends know me so well)! She said another option would be to just run for 15 minutes. I got up and got ready to go to the gym, with the idea that I'd do what I could. Before I left, I took the dogs out, and it was gorgeous...sunshine, and not too cold. I knew that my bad mood could benefit from some sun and fresh air, so I put on my headphones, turned on a Half Size Me podcast, and started to run...slowly. As soon as I started, I knew I'd be fine. There was some wind, but not too much, and my pace was perfect, so my breathing was fine. Once I got up the first hill, and didn't feel the need to stop, I knew I was good, and I had a great run, which I really enjoyed! I remembered why I run...it's not to go fast, or to go far, or to win any races. It's to clear my head, spend some time outside, and do something good for my body. I'm still not in the absolute best mood, but at least I am not worried about not being able to run, or feeling guilty because I slept away the whole morning.

I also decided on a whim to attend the Dartmouth Club of Princeton's Christmas party next Saturday. I've wanted to get involved for quite some time, but attending events alone, and knowing no one, is WAY outside my comfort zone. But I'll never get to know the members by staying home, so I'm going to take a chance, and maybe have a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment